Friday 24 February 2012

Pooka Dust

This is my hat which is often worn with goggles in place as pictured here.  Sometimes I take advantage of the goggles strap to hold my business cards in place.  At the rear of the hat you may see a white fluffy tail.  I enjoy referring to this as my Pooka Tale.  Not that it is a tail from a Pooka rather it is a conversation piece that supplies me with the opportunity to tell a tale of Pookas.  Of late the hat has been attracting strange dust like deposits.  I believe that some, if not all of these fluffings are occasioned when my head garb is borrowed by unseen wearers who sometimes leave a footprint, or two but never take a photograph!

The Pooka mythology has been around for many centuries.  Some relate that the name comes from Púca which is Irish for goblin.  With regional variations there are easily over a dozen different names that the shape shifting Pooka, or Puck has acquired.  To date his most famous recording might be found in Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night's Dream.  Titania ask Puck, also known as Robin Goodfellow

Either I mistake your shape and making quite,
Or else you are that shrewd and knavish sprite
Call'd Robin Goodfellow: are not you he
That frights the maidens of the villagery;
Skim milk, and sometimes labour in the quern
And bootless make the breathless housewife churn;
And sometime make the drink to bear no barm;
Mislead night-wanderers, laughing at their harm?
Those that Hobgoblin call you and sweet Puck,
You do their work, and they shall have good luck:
Are not you he?
(Act ii., Scene i.)

It may only be my night tripping dream like fantasy that the dust upon my hat is a clear indication of it being borrowed by friendly sprites, but it is nice to have a flight of fancy as long as you have safe landings.

For further reference see the film Harvey, 1950, with James Stewart and Harvey.

 

Pooka Dust (102)  

 

Pooka Dust (101) 

No comments:

Post a Comment