Thursday 13 January 2011

Winter Flora Macro Temple Midlothian Scotland


Living in the midst of fields, woods and countryside it is quite easy to see the subtle changes brought about by the seasons.  In the temperate climate of Midlothian you can experience a four seasons day where you have icy white hail being melted by glorious summer sun shine and in between the cold and hot you could be experiencing spring and autumn.  The macro flower pictures that I took on 11 January 2010 were showing signs of spanning the seasons.  I could see dried autumnal stems and seeds as well spring like flowers despite there being snows on the ground and a glorious warm light from a bright blue sky.

The stark lighting I choose here was accentuated to illustrate the harsh conditions that these flowers are experiencing.  The main subjects I took to were Wild Chervil and Rosebay Willowherb.  The strong streams of sunlight gave me shadows and highlights to combine.  The setting sun gave me great colours in the sky.  The camera can fail to combine the natural conditions so I used reflected light and electronic lights to amalgamate the light sources at the levels that that I needed for these photographs.  It was a cold session lasting several hours and there are more pictures to load on another occasion but I am very happy to share these stark winter images with you.

©2011 PHH Sykes
Edinburgh Festival Fringe Fancies
http://phhsykes.blogspot.com 

For more photos click on the images below


Winter Flora Macro Midlothian Scotland (102)

Winter Flora Macro Midlothian Scotland (114)

Winter Flora Macro Midlothian Scotland (105)

No comments:

Post a Comment